Tuesday 11 September 2012

Messy Party for Eden's 2nd Birthday.

The Prep

This was a real last minute party in contrast to Joplin's Fireman Sam party which he had been planning (forcing me to put some thought in) for the last year!
I didn't manage a postal invite but did manage to get an e-vite out to most -

I wanted to make glitter playdough for the party bags which I made the day before. I also had sparkly rings and a few messy sweets. I had forgotten however that the party bags were in fact items contained in a 'bag'! A bit of last minute raiding of the stationary cupboard and a trial of the paint and sponges for the party was the fix, and I soon had my envelope party bags!


The Cake

I always have grand ideas for my cakes that my baking skills don't quite live up to! This time though the theme was 'messy' so I figured I would pretty much get away with it one way or another! I went with a messy rainbow theme and layered different coloured Victoria Sponge mix in the tin (the idea was red in the middle working through the rainbow to violet outsides - it was vaguely there but only if you knew what you were looking for!). I had no idea actually how it had come out until it was cut and amazingly it did seem to work! I have hit upon a great cake making solution actually for the less talented of us when it comes to the baking of birthday cakes - freezing the cakes! I made the layers a few days before then popped them in the freezer when cooled. This meant that the night before I only have to concentrate on the decorating rather than the whole process. Victoria sponge freezes really well and the reduction of the stress is certainly worth it!
The night before I sandwiched the pieces together with jam and cream, then iced it with a cream cheese and icing sugar mix. I made up another batch slightly more runny with different colours then splodged them on! The day of the party I decorated with smarties around the outside and of course 2 candles!





The Activities

Messy as possible was the key but I tried to keep some vague sense of system so it wasn't complete carnage! 
A sheet pinned to the ground with plastic pegs, and plenty of paint and brushes provided a blank canvas.

The foam pit was lots of fun - crazy soap which is a bit like shaving foam without the smell. I used about 4 cans.


Next to the foam pit I put a track down covered in the foam and a little soap mix. THis was great fun for slippy sliding! 
 Another experiment was the soap flakes goo! I whisked up half a box with warm water and initially it was similar to the foam, however as it settled it became more mouldable.  I put some animals in there hoping mountains may be made and layed on however the children werre a little reluctant to touch it! Maybe one messy too far!! It did help the slip when put on the slippy track though. 
I filled another paddling pool (I found these in the end of summer sale for 25p each!!) with top soil and hid treasures inside. Lots of tools and also cars went with it and I combined it with the muddy car wash we had previously played - a tray of water with a track linking the two. 
It was a lovely day so the paddling pool was a must - the state of it afterwards wasn't too pretty though!

Baby wash was as popular as ever - both for Mummies and kids!

 Bubbles were a hit as always too, although I think our machine is on it's last legs.

For food I kept it pretty simple with hot dogs on the BBQ, jelly, crisps crudite and fruit. It all seemed to go anyway!






 Eden had lots of lovely presents - a very lucky boy! Thankyou to all our friends and family!




Lots of fun and again we were massively lucky with the weather!  Eden spent most of the day in his Birthday suit in fact!! Happy 2nd Birthday Eden!


Your comments make my day! Do let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment